Matthew de Kersaint Giraudeau
UK based artist
Interview: 10 questions
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background
Art, for me, is intellectual. Music is intuitive. So when I make films I attempt to straddle these two contrasting viewpoints
2. When, how and why started you filming?
Got a cheap digital camera, filmed anything I thought was funny or stupid. Then used it to document projects, now as a medium in itself.
3.What kind of subjects have your films?
Humour, self reflexivity, faith.
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles etc?
My style is a lack of style. I approach everything separately
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
Cheap DV, home editing software, the most direct means I can.
6. What are the chances of new media for the genre film/video in general and you personally?
Everything survives, we will add more detritus to the world.
7. How do you finance your films?
self financed, although I am looking for finance to create a film about Pi, comedy and ultimate truth…
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team? if you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
I prefer picking and choosing people to help me, in terms of films that are my concept, but I will happily do techincal jobs for other peoples
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
John Smith, William Burroughs, my Grandad
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
Make a film that expresses the complexity of even holding one opinion.
A few films can be viewed at www.myspace.com/dogtanion along with some of my music.