Interview: 10 questions
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background.
I have always lived in Milan, but I love traveling and being immersed in new horizons.
I attended the art school, the Academy of Brera in set design and after several courses of specialization I became a full time artist.
2. When, how and why started you filming?
It is very difficult for me to say when and how I started filming. I remember that, since I was a child, I was fascinated by my father who was shooting family memories. So I started to do it by myself with the aim to achieve universal meanings and go beyond the particular details of one personal life.
3. What kind of subjects have your films?
All my works are based on the same subject: time passing. This is inevitable in a video work using the fourth dimension! However I think I am linked to the traditional genres of art history: landscape, still life, figure, although they are analyzed with a contemporary look, slightly ironic.
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles etc?
I use only original images, filmed directly by myself. The main effort of my work deals with editing: I put beside frames that resonate with each other metaphorically. Usually I don’t use special effects but sometimes they may be used in order to create a proper sense of estrangement. The purpose I have is to transform the autobiographical experiences in a collage that recreates a universal meaning.
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
My equipment consists of a HD digital hand-held camcorder and a mac computer using ‘final cut pro’.
6. What are the chances of the digital video technologies for creating art using “moving images” generally, and for you personally?
Since I have never used film as a medium I can’t make a comparison; according to me, digital technology is extremely malleable. Being able to transform images in many ways it’s amazing!
7. How do you finance your films?
I don’t finance anything, everything is home made.
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team?
if you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
If I need help or people to perform I ask to someone I know, mainly friends and relatives.
However I like choosing particular music created by young authors that I find on the net and who allow me to use their works.
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
Only my personal opinion!
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
Participating in international festivals and seeing if this will bring new developments.
Can works of yours viewed online besides on the CologneOFF platform? Where?
my personal web site: http://www.cristinapavesi.com
Oart television: http://www.oart.tv/page/user_profile/640
International Streaming Festival: http://www.streamingfestival.com/archive/2012/artists.php?id=1312&f=Cristina&l=Pavesi