Interview: 10 questions
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background
My soul is based in Manchester, Berlin and Vienna. I am a trained textile and surface designer. This includes all surfaces. And all textiles and textures.
2. When, how and why started you filming?
In 1998. I borrowed acamera off the “Offener Kanal Berlin”.
3. What kind of subjects have your films?
Fear and Popculture
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles etc?
The aesthetic is dictated by the topic and the budget. I am a pragmatist.
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
I used a camera phone for the Kraak Gallery ads. My favourite equipment is borrowed equipment. We used a borrowed canon dslr for “paper looped memories”. I like combining modern dslr bodies with old and cheap prime lenses.
6. What are the chances of the digital video technologies for creating art using “moving images” generally, and for you personally?
It’s affordable. But it needs more care taking. If you fuck up analog stuff, the result would still look great. That is NOT the case with digital stuff. Projections are a big problem. Even a super 8 movie will look great if you screen it on a whole building. You cant do that with a digital movie and a tight budget.
7. How do you finance your films?
I dont. I borrow equipment, I eat less, try to collaborate with like-minded people.
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team?
if you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
Film has always been a team thing. And since I spent 3 months alone in my studio building my “mcr memories” installation, I dont want to work alone anymore. Ever.
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
The future will tell.
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
I m really satisfied with my collaborations of the past 2 years. There will be a lot more quick and dirty projects. And I want to publish more.
Can works of yours viewed online besides on the CologneOFF platform? Where?
List some links & resources