Interview: 10 questions
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background
Malc born in late nineties from two graphic designers project.
We had different educations: Lorena studied at the High School of fine art, Massimiliano attended technical studies.
We chosen to become freelancers after some years of work and experience with several advertising agencies. We live and work in Rome.
2. When, how and why started you filming?We were looking for new forms to transpose our ideas into images.
In filming we found the way to generate emotions using technology.
3.What kind of subjects have your films?
Everything we shoot is simply our native environment: the people we love and the places where we live. Sometimes we create a situation or fix our experience memories, other times we like to explore our dreams.
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles,
We don’t follow any particular rules. It could be an image that fascinates us, a warm light, an uncertain atmosphere… Sometimes we let the sound make a sign to follow with images.
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use
We use a 3ccd camcoder and two laptop to manipulate images and sounds with.
6. What are the chances of new media for the genre film/video in
general and you personally?
Today technology offers fast and intuitive approach to the media, that allows a simple carrying out of a project but, at the same time, it increases the risk of works purely made of “technic”.
We think that the use of the technology offers a very important chance: a prompt contact between the project and the spectators..
7. How do you finance your films?
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team? if you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
Malc was born as a creative couple experience, so for us it’s natural working in a team: comparing ideas and working out them together is fundamental for our job.
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
We have a lot of interests… Mainly we love cinema: the dream-like Lynch’s language, the Cronenberg’s “inner beauty” and the imaginative Gondry’s creativity.
Moreover electronic music has a leading role in our work, that it’s mainly influenced by labels like Mille Plateaux, Raster Noton, Type, Scape…
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
We would like to deepen experience with live performances. We are interested into generating and managing images and sounds in real time.