Juan Kasari aka 80juan80
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background
juan kasari aka. 80juan80. Im finnish video, sound and conceptual artist. I have graduated as a public space designer 1997 and at the moment im doing extra studies in Lahti University of Applied Sciences Institute of Fine Arts
2. When, how and why started you filming?
Something like five years ago. First video films where totally experimental, very noisy stuff.
3.What kind of subjects have your films?
id like to experiment and play with different sounds and how pictures reacts to sounds.I also do a lot conceptual/humorous art video stuff. Usually I have certain themes, like urban society, how people communicate with each other and society.
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles etc?
for more experimental stuff I use super 8, vhs, dv material. all mixed together. For more conceptual works I use DV-format.
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
Basic video cams, super8. I usually do editing myself.
6. What are the chances of new media for the genre film/video in general and you personally?
I guess new media has changed video art a lot. in a good way.
7. How do you finance your films?
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team? if you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
I usually work with 1 or 2 people. I do filming and editing. usually there is some “actors”
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
that’s hard to say, Andy Warhol…all big names in video art..maybe all video artists.
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
Get more films/works to be relesed, more exhibitions and more bigger video installations
Can works of yours viewed online besides on VideoChannel?
my works can be seen on my site: 80juan80.net
• 80juan80 is finnish video/sound/installation artist who focuses on combining experimental music and image with methods of a video and installation work. He mixes and uses different materials from Super8 to Digital video.
• He have had several exhibitions and live performances all over Europe.
• 80Juan80 finds new ways to use modern clichés in his work. Usually there is a certain voyeuristic aspect in his video work.
80Juan80 uses different frequencies and layers of sound and picture.