Interview: 10 questions
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background
I like to travel and experience new situations, I try as often as possible to work and live in new surroundings. From March this year I’m temporary living/moving between Tanguièta, Benin, Berlin and Oslo.
I, (Stine Gonsholt (b.1973) graduated from The Bergen National Academy of Art in Norway in 2003 and The Iceland Academy of Art in Reykjavik in 1999. I work within the field of photography / video, documentary film, drawing and experimental animation film.
My work is usually presented as screenings or video / animation, drawing and sound installations. I have been working within the field documentary film and photo since I graduated and in the beginning of 2000 I started to experiment with basic cell animation.
2. When, how and why started you filming?
I started to make short “movies” just for the fun around 1995.
3. What kind of subjects have your films?
A main focus in my work is in what way we are relating to the society and adjusting to new conditions. It could be a physical process as well as a mental progress, a change of opinion or mindset.
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles etc?
The starting point for my work is in general documentation of situations from daily life. The installations are based on “re – interpretations” of the footage, and trough the process of drawing / editing, the material is given a different appearance and meaning.
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
HD camera/ still Cameras, Wacom pen/board.
6. The field of “art and moving images” (one may call it videoart or also differently) is manifesting itself as an important position in contemporary art. Tell me more about your personal position and how you see the future of this field ( your personal future and the future of “art and moving images”)
The moving images festivals are popping up everywhere, I hope that gives an opportunity for more people to experience the magic about moving images and to increase the quality and the variety of the genre.
7. How do you finance your films?
Depending on the film I apply for grants, funding and by my different part-time job.
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team?
if you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
I work both individually and in a small team…. I guess I like both ways of working, I like to be able to discus the development of the film and to work in a small team gives you sometimes a feeling of safety. On the other hand individual work gives me the full control and don’t need to depend on others;)
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
10. What are your plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
To continue my work, see new people and new places.
Can works of yours viewed online besides on CologneOFF or Video Channel? Where?
List some links & resources