Jose Alejandro Lopez Perez
Interview: 10 Questions
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background
I studied Film and Tv in Colombia and then Art and Technology in Sweden. I live in Colombia, where I research and teach.
2. When, how and why started you filming?
Officially, I started in collage, in classes.
3. What kind of subjects have your films?
There are not central subjects, but maybe the language itself.
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles etc?
The started point is to develop thinking around different issues of the language. The styles are consequences of that.
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
Depends on the idea and the budget.
6. What are the chances of new media for the genre film/video in general
and you personally?
It is easier to produce and distribute the works. There are two main aspects with video technology. First, the production is not only in someone’s hands with particular interest. For example Hollywood. Secondly, someone with a basic technical knowledge but without a plastic knowledge produces videos and the quality (no technical, but artistically) decreases.
7. How do you finance your films?
University, my money, grants.
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team? if you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
Sometimes I prefer to work with other people to have a more points of view around a subject.
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
Now I am making a documentary around the “true”. I have found Marker and Farocki very helpful.
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
Can works of yours viewed online besides on VideoChannel? Where?
Not at the moment.