South Korean videomaker
Interview: 10 Questions
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background
I am from Seoul, Korea. I’m a university student at Seoul Women’s Univ. This year is going to be my last year in undergraduate school. My hobby is watching movies during my break time.
2. When, how and why started you filming?
I started making films since 2009. Before filming, I was looking for various ways to express my emotions and thoughts. ‘Is this mine?’ is my first film, I try to see my work over and over again to catch and modify some troubles in it. Through this work, I have lots of interest in making film.
3. What kind of subjects have your films?
I have an interest in an object’s existence. Especially in filming, I have an attention in personal identities’ uniqueness. Most of people think themselves as a unique one. I also think myself as a unique one in the world. But I want to ask and consider that matter in a reverse way. I want to ask that ‘Are you really a unique person?’, ‘How can you prove that you are the only uniqueness in the world?’, and ‘Is there anyone who really the only one?’ I have many questions about existence.
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles etc?
Honestly, I don’t have much experience making films, but I always try to focus on my questions and then figure out how I would do, and then make several story boards to scenes.
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
Sony digital camcorder is my only equipment what I have.
6. What are the chances of new media for the genre film/video in general and you personally?
Over time, technology remarkably expresses the real world in computer screen. It is incredibly as same as the real. Sometimes I am startled by the reality. Because of the reality, using the advanced media, I think, expressing in a tender feelings or sentiment ways are rising more difficult and important than the past.
7. How do you finance your films?
I try to earn some money by myself. If I face some financial difficulty, I ask my parents to support me, but it only happens when I severely have no money
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team? if you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
I’ve only worked with my friend as my story’s character. But if I have a chance to work with other artists, I want to take part in that. I think it will be a good experience for me.
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
Honestly, all the films what I have seen influence on me. Experimental films influence on me.
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
I want to continue and develop my theme through film and other materials.