Interview : 10 questions
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background
Born in Los Angeles, went to Cal Arts and received MFA in 93 in Art and Film, an artist and hairstylist.
2. When, how and why started you filming?
I started making books with audio tapes with a friend in elementary school. We moved up to super 8 film, and the finally video.
3. What kind of subjects have your films?
I prefer to make films that deal with homo aesthetics.
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles etc?
I allow myself to be inspired by pop culture and personal experiences as well as childhood memories.
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
For my last piece, Mouse’s Birthday,I hired a cinematographer who used a Sony XDCAM HD422. Previously I have used hi 8, digital 8, and mini dv.
6. What are the changes of new media for the genre film/video in general
and you personally?
I like that higher quality is becoming more available.
7. How do you finance your films?
I have always dipped into my savings, though my last piece cost so much I really have to don scale or look for funding elsewhere.
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team?
If you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
I have done both, though for larger scale pieces I really have to rely on others such as a producer. I like to talk out ideas with another person which helps me to become more motivated and make the impossible become real.
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
Andy Warhol, HR Puf n’ Stuf (a 1970s American tv show roughly based on The Wizard of Oz), Matthew Barney, Paul McCarthy, Kenneth Anger, John Waters, pop culture, music videos, childrens’ tv shows, Carol Burnett, I Love Lucy, The Brady Bunch, Sesame Street, Exercise and bodybuilding…
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
I would like to make a feature film that was a cross between The Wizard of Oz and a Matthew Barney Cremaster film.
Can works of yours viewed online besides on VideoChannel? Where?
List some links & resources