Interview: 10 questions
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background
Brought up in a remote crofting and fishing community in the northwest of Scotland. I taught myself how to paint,draw and animate. I did the 1 year Post Grad in Electronic Imaging at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art in Dundee to transfer these skills to digital media.
2. When, how and why started you filming?
I started “filming” when I was in my twenties using a bulky VHS camcorder. I animated peat cutting tools and a peat bank on a moor in Assynt. I wanted to create a peak stack of TV monitors and make a videosculpture.
3.What kind of subjects have your films?
Characters in my family, traditional and new stories.
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles etc?
I do them with as liitle special effects as possible. I like to mix diofferent media… eg combining live action with animation and sculpture such as in my work “Kitschen”.
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
It changes depending on the project. I’ve used Mobile, VHS, Hi8 and Super 8 cameras. Software; Premiere, Soundforge, Painter, Flash and Maya
6. What are the chances of new media for the genre film/video in general and you personally?
Youtube and MySpace has turned everything on it’s head.
7. How do you finance your films?
In 1992 I got £500 from Scottish Televison toi make a short animation.
In 2003 I got £2000 towards the cost of an animation course at Escape Studios in London.
Apart from the above I do not have a budget and everyone that works with me does it for the fun/CV.
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team? if you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
Both. People inspire me so I would say that I prefer working with other people, especially musicians.
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
John Waters, Buzby Berkley.
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
To make Seordag TV into a series for TV and web.