film maker from Basque country
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background
I am Basque, born in 1963 in the city of Bilbao, and I got a PhD in Physics in 1993 by the University of the Basque Country.
2. When, how and why started you filming?
I started in 2003 with my first short fiction, after a visit to Bosnia-Herzegovina, whose people impressed me quite a lot.
3. What kind of subjects have your films?
The human identity with a certain degree of surrealism in my fiction works.
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles etc?
I feel myself in debt with filmmakers such as Tarkovsky and Buñuel, and with painters such as Hopper, Rothko and Mark Tobey, and bands as Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree.
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
I use to shoot in HDV or DV, and edit in Final Cut.
6. What are the chances of new media for the genre film/video in general and you personally?
Nowadays there is a much greater possibility to make very personal films because day after day the money is becoming less crucial. and the information is out there for you to learn and use.
7. How do you finance your films?
Self-financed, with the strong support of a group of professionals that volunteer to make my films a reality.
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team?
I work in a small team.
if you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
I prefer to work in a team, provided that inside the team we are able to reach a reasonable degree of unity of vision about the project.
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
As I mentioned before, Tarkovsky and Buñuel, painters as Hopper, Rothko, Tobey, and bands as Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree.
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
My first feature film “Lodo” is in the festival circuit now, two more features are in postproduction, a fourth one is under production and I am preparing the fifth one. All of them almost without budget.
Can works of yours viewed online besides on VideoChannel? Where?
List some links & resources
You can watch several shorts, a documentary and two clips of my first feature at IMDB:
There are some additional clips in my youtube channel, especially the trailer of my second feature, “Anamorphosis”: