is a video artist from Istanbul
His video ” “The Middle of the Bridge” is part of the selection of Turkish videos
bio at the end of this page—>
Interview: 10 questions
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background
I was borned in 1968.I live and work in Istanbul.I have graduated of Fine Art Faculty, University of Marmara.My works across different disciplines such as installation, painting, video art, mail art, sculpture, photography and conceptual art. Actively I am exhibiting my works in international, national, and regional museums and galleries, I also curated audio-video art festival “Obsession” in 2005.
2. When, how and why started you filming?
I started to film in 1999. At the beginning, I was interested in 8 mm films, cameras and projectors. While I was assembling the 8 mm films, I began to produce video films.
3.What kind of subjects have your films?
The topics are more variable. From time to time, my films sometimes are related to individual topics and are sometimes sociological, political subjects.
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles etc?
My films generally have short duration time and I especially take care for the films have 3-4 minute duration time. I prefer shooting my films spontaneously. Shooting a film one istance is more excited to me. But, rarely I shoot and study some films more than one time .
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
I use mini-DV handycam and assemble films on computer. While producing the films, at times, i also use side lights.
6. What are the chances of new media for the genre film/video in general
and you personally?
Enhancing the view style production in the news media decenteralizes the artist. Apart from that, the dialog between the technology and the artist, the audience also gives a lot of support. The increase in the interaction of the audience will increase the art circulation as well.
7. How do you finance your films?
I finance my project by myself and moreover, i produce my films technically by myself.
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team?
if you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
I work individially as a video artist.
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
The film of Kutluğ Ataman which is titled “Semiha B Unplugged” influenced me.
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
I want to make a long film. I believe that i might also start to produce animation production.
My works have shown on RRF2005 /VideoChannel, 2005, 1. Cologne Online Film Festival 2006.