video artist from Bosnia-Herzegovina
Interview: 10 questions
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background –I am an visual artist, Yugoslavian by birth but living and working in today Bosnia and Herzegovina. I studied Art academy in Banja Luka painting department in the 2002-06, then I start postgraduate studies on the same University. I`m working as assistant professor on Spatial theory and Intermediate research on Banja Luka Art Academy. In my dealing with the art I combined militarism as metaphor in different mediums: installations, photography, performances and digital technology. I spent few monts in residences programs: ISCP-New York, Neue Galerie-Graz, Apollonia-Stasbourg…
2. When, how and why started you filming?
When studying for my postgraduate studies I undertook a residency at the ISCP NY arts centre which gave me access to a cameras and other digital equipment . I also ran course on video techniques which captured my imagination, I and a few other artists start filming using camera and video software.
3. What kind of subjects have your films?
The same visual interests that presents in most of my work – social position of artist, problem of militarism, critique of tradition…
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles, etc?
They start as an idea formed from a drawing or from some of my sketches , and grow from there into an short video.
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
I use very bad JVC camcorder sometimes combining with photos, montaging with Adobe Premier software.
6. What are the chances of new media for the genre film/video in general and you personally?
So, I think it will continue to grow more and more stronger as the main means for promotion and distribution of works from individuals through to the bigger corporations, everything will be downloaded in the not-too-distant future. For me it will remain just one of many methods I use to express my artistic self.
7. How do you finance your films?
In some project I`m supported by ProHelvetia, ministry of culture RS or city Banja Luka. Usually it’s my one production.
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team? if you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
In my 3 videos to date I have worked individually but I am presently working with a musician who has put together a wonderful sound piece. She has seen my projection for installation piece and gave me the sound piece to visualize as I see fit. I enjoy both aspects of working, each has it’s pro’s and con’s.
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
I consider my videos an extension of my work as a visual artist, though I grew up on war environment that have indirectly influenced my manner of working with videos I’m sure.
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
They will continue to be part of my work as a visual artist and I would love to continue to do a work with animation, or a moving drawing as I like to think of my work, every year!