Fukushima Beach , 2014, 5:25
is participating in – artvideoKOELN -audiovisual experiences 01
Interview 10 Questions:
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background
2. When, how and why started you filming?
3. What kinds of topics have your films?
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles etc?
I did my first steps in the shooting and editing with a Super 8 camera in the 75/76 years. Then during my studies in the Art Deco Strasbourg (1976-1981), I met John Howe (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Howe) we realized a cartoon under 5 minutes. A two-year work, for hundreds of drawings on transparencies. The film was selected at the Cartoon Festival of Annecy (France) in 1981. At 12, I was already doing cartoons in the pages of my notebooks at school when I missed a lot (flip books) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip_book. Then there was the VHS that I was ugly, I’ve never touched. After my studies, I worked in parallel of my illustrator and cartoonist in creating characters for cartoons.
Then came the computer and my first video camera, late 90s.
My process has been set up at that time: capture images without defined purpose and from this limited material, developing a narrative. I always still works this way, even if I happen to leave with a scenario in mind, I like to be guided by the images that emerge. I like to let myself be surprised by the sense that once put end to end, they take almost despite myself. The assembly is the part in creating a video I prefer.
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
A Sony HDV Handycam and camera Sony Nex-5N
6. These days digital technology is dominating also video as a medium. In which way the digital aspect is entering the creation of your videos, technologically and/or conceptually?
The video is 100% digital. there are only images that can be real or digitally manufactured (3D generated by DATA, etc …).
I tried to make a short film in 3D, there are more than 10 years. Months of work, but my computer was not up to it! Either the software. I had to leave. But I do not despair of one day using a 3D software or to introduce another dimension in my video creations.
7. How do you finance your films?
I work in my videos visual artist, not an entrepreneur. I did not need funding.
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team?
if you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
I always work alone. I’m only short films. I mount the images and creates parallel music. In passing from one another. Final Cut in Ableton Live.
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
Continue, explore, evolve …