Interview: 10 questions
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background
I grew up in a rural area in Denmark and when I went to high school there it is very telling about my interests that I chose to follow an arts class as well as a class in computer programming. This dual interest in art and technology has been with me ever since and today I work in a small startup doing video projections for cultural and other events. Alongside this I work on artistic projects.
2. When, how and why started you filming?
Ever since my childhood I have been interested in music videos in general and specifically all kinds of video that has a close connection with music. I created my first animated music video in 2006. I have also for a number of years performed as a VJ on different occasions which means that I have performed live with video projected images and videos in sync with live music played by a DJ or a band.
3. What kinds of topics have your films?
The unifying factor of my films is the way the images relate to music. I am very interested in the rhythm of moving images and I am interested in synaesthetic effects.
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles etc?
Sometimes I will receive a finished music track and be requested to make a video for it. At other times I have an idea for the visuals and I will request a musical score for it from a musician.
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
I usually create my work using a mix of video recordings and 2d or 3d graphics created using software. Currently (2015) I am very interested in 3d graphics and I create animations using software I have developed myself.
6. These days digital technology is dominating also video as a medium. In which way the digital aspect is entering the creation of your videos, technologically and/or conceptually?
I usually work exclusively with digital media and I am always very interested in the possibilities brought on by new tools for visual creation.
7. How do you finance your films?
Some films are self financed others are commissioned by a music artist.
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team?
I am part of the group Obscura and some projects are created in collaboration with my colleagues. Some are created by me individually.
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
Of well known artists I am very influenced by Chris Cunningham and Matthew Barney. Also Tony Oursler who I consider a pioneer when it comes to using video projected images within art. I am also very influenced by emerging artists such as David O’Reilly, Vince McKelvie, Francoise Gamma, Sabrina Ratté and other members of Computers Club.
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
I hope to be able to realise some independent projects every year along with my daily work that I create together with my colleagues.
Can works of yours viewed online besides on the CologneOFF platform? Where?
List some links & resources