Interview: 10 questions
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background
I studied at the Rietveld academy department sculpture in Amsterdam the Netherlands. I live in Amsterdam
2. When, how and why started you filming?
At the Rietveld I started with super 8 movies, I liked the media and it was another way of looking at things, for me I still see my sculpture background in my videos. What I like is the directness of the media.
3. What kinds of topics have your films?
My theme is man and his incapacity. I am looking for the fringes of life; those I find interesting. It’s a fascination for the peculiarities of the human body and mind. I use the body as raw material for communication and for generating emotions.
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles etc?
I often use the body as raw material to induce emotions, ideas, desires and fears. My works can be described as a state of mind. I film or photograph them like performances; straight up front and often as close-ups.
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
Canon XF 100 and Apple Mac final cut pro.
6. These days digital technology is dominating also video as a medium. In which way the digital aspect is entering the creation of your videos, technologically and/or conceptually?
It makes me independent of other people and compagnys because I can do everything with my own camera and computer.
7. How do you finance your films?
Myself, somethings selling my work and getting the money back, but it does not have to cost a lot.
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team?
if you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
Individual, my videos are very intimate, this intimacy I can’t get with a team.
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
Bruce Nauman, Samuel Beckett
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
Making a poetic city work.
Can works of yours viewed online besides on the CologneOFF platform? Where?
List some links & resources