Antti Savela (Sweden)
Interview: 10 questions
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background.
I was born in Finland, where I spent mychildhood; a childhood that still inspire me. I have studied art in Sweden, and it´s also where I live and work today.
2. When, how and why started you filming?
I made my first video in 1987. I felt that I needed something “moving” together with my sculptural works.
The equipment those days was really huge and heavy.
3. What kind of subjects have your films?
The human being,,,memories and experiences, dance, music, humour,,, the life itself.
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles etc?
The technical simplicity is important for me. I often tried to make the film in one shot, without too much editing and effects. I like the documentary feeling.
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
It´s very basic; Mobile phone, Camera, DV-Camera. Laptop with FinalCut,Potoshop, Cubase, Band-in-a-Box,,,and of course a guitar and a amp.
6. What are the chances of new media for the genre film/video in general
and you personally?
Enormous, and for me who lives in the “periphery” it gives a lot of possibilitys to reach people and festivals around the world.
7. How do you finance your films?
They are self financed low budget films.
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team? if you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
Usually I work individually, but sometimes the project need some assistance.
I like the both ways.
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
All the fantastic people I meet.
I like the video-art from the 60´s and 70´s very much.
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
Just go on with this. It´s great.
Can works of yours viewed online besides on VideoChannel? Where?